How to Ask For Help ?
Published on: 2022-06-30 10:50:26
Asking for help is never easy - working out what to say, how to say it, and who to say it to. So, here we have broken down what makes it so hard and how you can overcome these obstacles to ask for the help you need and deserve.
What are the psychological reasons why asking for help is so hard?
- Asking for help requires surrendering control to someone else, which often makes people feel uneasy.
- People worry about being perceived as needy or incompetent.
- The fear of being shunned or rejected.
- Not wanting to take people's time if they have their own worries to take care of.
So, how can you get better at asking for help?
- Taking opportunities to ask for help in smaller ways (like picking you up lunch etc.) to practice and build your confidence.
- Reframe your request so it’s a conversation, rather than a transaction (i.e. “I could really use your help with something, it would be great if we could sit together to find a solution”).
- Ask those you are close to if it is okay for you to count on them for support during difficult times.
When should you ask for help?
- If you experience drastic and frequent changes in mood.
- If you notice sudden behavioral changes.
- If you notice a change in your relationship with people.
- If you experience suicidal thoughts or behaviour (such as self harm).
- If you suffer from a decline in your performance at work or school.
Why should you help others at College?
- It gives you the chance to showcase your skills.
- It increases your confidence by teaching someone else.
- It fosters a culture of cooperation where people help one another.
- It improves team bonding by working together to find solutions.
Remember help is always available. So, reach out if you need to talk with someone about any worries or stress related to education, work, or anything else in your life.
Call & Text: 9801031442 / Whatsapp & Viber: +977 9801031442 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mental Health Maintenance
- Preparing for University: How A Levels Can Help You Succeed
- Choosing the Best College for A Levels in Kathmandu
- My Journey at BMC
- Mental Health Issues Affect Men Differently
- Ask the Alumni
- “New Year, New Me”
- The British College Experience
- TBC has World Cup Fever!
- VAMOS, BMC!